Tuesday, December 9, 2014

You label yourself not your disability

I have heard quite a few people who focus so much on the fact that they have a disability is such a limiting thing in their life.  For them it is because they let themselves get caught up in the fact that they have a disability.

Growing up I didn't view myself as someone with constraints.  I didn't know what I was lacking, but I knew I had the ability to do many things.  When I ran Cross County in high school, I didn't focus on the fact that I WAS THE SLOWEST (GUYS AND GIRLS) runner on the team, I just kept on running and went from 31 minute 5K to 24:40 5K in 4 years.   I didn't focus on my stutter, and people came to like what I said.  I didn't let that so many people could only imagine me doing something like accounting which I did not like because I liked being locked in a cubicle stop me from believing there was something out there that I could actually enjoy doing.  I didn't let aspergers, and failing 7 interviews stop me from hoping to do something helping other people which I knew I enjoyed doing,

This is not to say someone who is having trouble should just suddenly improve.  I am just saying don't limit yourself!

YOU ARE NOT A LABEL THAT PEOPLE GIVE YOU!  YOU ARE YOUR ACTIONS AND HOW YOU DECIDE TO GO ABOUT LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment